LAST UPDATE: 3/31 at 4:45 PM CST
We thank you all so much for your patience as we navigate through this Coronavirus crisis. We are doing our best to ensure the safety and welfare of our athletes, families, and staff. On March 31, USA Volleyball eliminated the sanctioning for all USA Volleyball activities until April 30. Therefore, all AJV activities are canceled through that date.
We are also aware that Mayor Steve Adler has restricted the gathering size in the city to 10 people until May 1 (or until the restrictions are lifted). We are actively working through solutions to safely train under these restrictions once we are able.
This is a fluid situation that we are monitoring and discussing hourly. We are committed to keeping our AJV family informed, so this page will be updated frequently with details and answers as we have them. Since there are many details to work through over the next few weeks, you may not receive a direct email or telephone response from our staff given the large volume of questions/inquiries received and the limited resources available to reply.
As of right now, no way! We are planning to resume some activity after the USAV restrictions are lifted, while still following the City of Austin restrictions. We are working with USAV and other clubs around the country to make sure this season will continue as soon as it is safe. It may not look like every other season, but there will be more volleyball to come.
We are working daily to secure spots in postponed and rescheduled events. Obviously, no one knows the exact day that volleyball activities will resume. We are trying to replace as many missed events as possible given the calendar and unknown restart date. For teams that had flights to national qualifiers, we are looking to replace at least one of them once the list of reschedule national qualifiers is announced. We are hoping to resume tournaments sometime in May, with events continuing into June and possibly July for the teams scheduled to go to USA Junior National Volleyball Championships or AAUs.
All practices, lessons, tournaments, trainings, and programming through Austin Juniors and AJVsand have been canceled until April 30. USA Volleyball has eliminated the sanctioning of all USAV events including but not limited to events, practices, individual training sessions or anything covered by USA Volleyball insurance.
Right now, we hope to be back on the court by mid-May. Soon, we will have a proposed practice and tournament schedule for the remainder of the season. Obviously, this is subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances. We are doing the best we can to plan for the season to resume as soon as it is safe for our athletes and their families.
AJV is providing our athletes with the following resources:
- Teams with SAQ will have scheduled live workouts with Bruce soon! Stay tuned for more information.
- Teams without SAQ can join free workouts provided by coach Amy via Zoom on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Email Amy for the link to these workouts.
- Athletes can check out volleyballs from AJV using this link. Registration is password protected -- the password will be sent to you via email. We will only have a few designated pick-up dates!
- Follow us on social media for ideas on individual ball control drills and at-home workouts.
- Keep checking your email for words of encouragement from our alumni!
- CLUB PLAYER DUES: Unfortunately, there will be a financial impact as a result of COVID-19, and our goal is to mitigate the impact between the club, staff, coaches and families.
At this time, we have pushed current payments to April 30. We will reevaluate the situation and payment schedule in April when we have a better idea about when we can resume training and what the new schedule will look like.
- CAMP/CLINIC/PROGRAM REGISTRATION: We will offer credits for future camps and clinics for programs that were ENTIRELY canceled.
- FLIGHTS: We cannot offer credit or compensation for canceled flights.
- HOTELS: We cannot offer credit or compensation for canceled hotels.
No AJV teams will participate in any tournaments until at least after March 31. As of now, cancellations/postponements include:
- Lone Star Classic Qualifier (postponed)
- Show Me Qualifier
- Windy City National Qualifier
- CTPL #4
- Northeast Qualifier (postponed)
- 18s Lone Star Regionals
- Mideast National Qualifier
- Pacific National Qualifier
- Cross Court Classic
- ASC #3
- Sand Tournaments
For more information on the upcoming national qualifiers, you can visit this page on USA Volleyball's website.
We have decided that unfortunately we will be unable to hold the annual AJV banquet this year.
If the qualifier your team was planning to attend has officially canceled or postponed, flights and hotels for those trips should be canceled. Some tournaments and housing companies have handled the cancelations on their own.
We are working with USA Volleyball to devise solutions for the qualifiers being canceled.
If your child has a respiratory illness or fever, PLEASE STAY HOME. Playing time will not be affected by missing practices due to illness. Our highest priority is the health and safety of all of our athletes, families, and staff!
Yes! As of today, our summer camps have been unaffected by any city or USAV ordinances. You can view our summer camp listings on our Camps page.
• Most importantly, if you have a respiratory illness or fever, please stay home.
• Get a flu vaccine.
• Avoid contact with sick people (if you’re sick, limit contact with others).
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
• Cover your nose and mouth with something disposable (like a tissue) when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
• Clean frequently touched items (cell phones, airplane seating area -tray table, screens, windows, arm rests, air vents, etc.).
• Clean your hands often by washing them with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at 60%–95% alcohol. Soap and water should be used if hands are visibly dirty.
• It is especially important to clean hands after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose.
• Bring extra hand sanitizer with you to all events.